The british trade union Equity has set up a set of guidlines to ensure safe and healthy working conditions for models working at London Fashion week in England.
A variety of groups (Equity, Association of Model Agents, The British Fashion Council, and the Greater London Authority) agreed upon these regulations:
- A minimum rate of pay per show for emerging designers.
- Fees for fitting sessions.
- Photographs and footage of shows to be used for reporting/editorial purposes only.
- A minimum break during each show.
- Food and drink to be provided backstage at each show.
- Reasonable working temperature during shows.
- Privacy for models in the changing area.
- No models under 16 years of age.
- Models must be told in advance of any requirements for nudity or semi-nudity.
- Transport to be provided for late/early working sessions.
- Model's employers are responsible for all aspects of health and safety and will undertake risk assessments.
Read about the impressive initiative here. There are a lot of great links on this site, so remember to check them out:)
This initiative seems to me like a concrete and tangible version of DK's Ethical Charter (remember? Otherwise go here for an english version) from 2007, wich was nice indeed, but nothing ever really happened about it..
I am very excited to learn more about how these guidlines worked in real life, by reading posts like this and hopefully talk to DaMo's members about it on Friday the 4th after the Malene Birger show, where I will be sitting on a bar with others from the board drinking beers. We will send out more info about when and where so stay tuned on our facebook site.
On Thursday the 3'd of feb, 8 pm DR 1 is showing the documentary Bag facaden: Syge modeller. Afterwards I will be on a board along with some of the models from the show on dr.dk chatting with everybody who is interested in knowing more or asking questions.
Till then, have a great weekend and a wonderful Fashion Week in Copenhagen next week!!
Etiketter: Copenhagen Fashion Week, Danske Modeller, Det etiske Charter, spiseforstyrrelser